STAFF ACCOUNTANT – FULL TIME (posted 7/17/2023)
Job Title: Staff Accountant
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to Sheyla Castillo – firstname.lastname@example.org
The Staff Accountant will maintain the internal controls to identify duplicate or fraudulent transactions, prevent duplicate entries/payments, and conduct accounting audits. The Staff Accountant will maintain the financial system, and ensure that the accounting process steps are being adhered to as per the Financial Policy and Procedures Manual, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Funder Contract guidelines. Review all documentation used to process all types of financial transactions in the financial system for accuracy, coding, verifying, and reviewing entries, budget allowances, routing for final approval, and posting and or payment. Managing accounts receivable and accounts payable and overseeing employee payroll entries for assigned grants. Duties also include responding to vendor inquiries, managing assigned program budgets, meeting with Program Directors, assisting with month-end closing, year-end closing, and audits, reviewing AR Aging reports, and collecting AR. Prevent overspending on budget and monitoring expenses. Researching ways to save money and improve the bottom line.
The Staff Accountant must apply accounting principles and handle work that is analytical, evaluative, and advisory in nature and that requires an understanding of both accounting theory and practice. Have the ability to pay attention to detail and handle a high volume of data. Be in constant communication with employers, staff in and outside of the Finance Department, funders, and vendors.
ACCOUNTING SPECIALIST (LEAD)
Job Title: Accounting Specialist (Lead)
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to Kiron Dawkins at KDawkins@Westcop.org
Nature of Work: Under general supervision, leads and coordinates assigned accounting functions for WestCOP Fiscal Department; performs a variety of technical accounting duties; prepares, reviews, and processes various types of accounting documents; responds to accounting inquiries from other departments, and performs other related duties as assigned.
Essential Functions: The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific dates.
- Oversees the work of an accounting team for areas of responsibility including payroll, grants, accounts payable, or accounts receivable.
- Interprets and explains WestCOP’s accounting policies, procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Processes accounting/financial documents and technical transactions in accordance with applicable rules, regulations, and established procedures.
- Determine the proper handling of financial and technical transactions within designated limits.
- Records, files, and distributes accounting paperwork and technical documents; monitors source documents for compliance with rules and regulations; reports discrepancies.
- Conducts a variety of technical accounting activities including general ledger, accounts payable, revenue, accounts receivable, special fund accounting, bank reconciliations, claims, and/or payroll.
- Performs mathematical calculations; completes journal entries; reconciles accounts; posts documents and computer accounting entries; reviews and validates the accuracy of data; researches/corrects errors.
- Maintains financial records and associated filing systems; enters data into computer systems; codes documents, processes transactions, updates accounts, compiles documentation, and generates reports.
- Updates and maintains additional accounting and/or technical transaction databases as needed.
- Processes cash receipts, daily cash reports, and bank deposits as required.
- Provides customer service and accounting assistance to other departments; researches and resolves various types of accounting issues.
- Coordinate the provision and/or exchange of technical and financial information with customers and external agencies.
- Responds to requests for accounting information; provides technical information within the scope of authority.
- Updates, corrects, retrieves, and releases information in accordance with established procedures.
- Monitors and ensures all reports and p paperwork are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Cross-trains in a wide variety of technical accounting duties; provides assistance in training and cross-training WestCOP staff.
Working Environment/Physical Demands: Work is performed in a standard office environment, involves light physical demands, and frequent use of personal computers.
Employment Standards: Associate’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or a closely related field; AND three (3) years’ governmental accounting experience in the areas of grant billing, payroll, accounts payable, and/or accounts receivable.
A valid driver’s license is required.
Knowledge and Skills:
- WestCOP policies and procedures
- Principles and practices of municipal finance and records management
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB), Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB), and Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) standards, policies, rules, and reporting requirements.
- State Budgeting Accounting & Reporting Systems (BARS) and Cost Accounting Management Systems (CAMS) for public sector financial management.
- Basic supervisory principles and practices
- Leading and coordinating accounting activities for area of assignment.
- Interpreting, explaining, and maintaining compliance with regulations governing accounting activities.
- Performing a variety of technical accounting functions.
- Preparing, reviewing, and monitoring accounting documents for accuracy and completeness
- Operating a personal computer and utilizing standard and specialized software.
- Establishing and maintaining effecting working relations with co-workers
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.