ACCOUNTING SPECIALIST (LEAD)
Job Title: Accounting Specialist (Lead)
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to Kiron Dawkins at KDawkins@Westcop.org
Nature of Work: Under general supervision, leads and coordinates assigned accounting functions for WestCOP Fiscal Department; performs a variety of technical accounting duties; prepares, reviews, and processes various types of accounting documents; responds to accounting inquiries from other departments, and performs other related duties as assigned.
Essential Functions: The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific dates.
- Oversees the work of an accounting team for areas of responsibility including payroll, grants, accounts payable, or accounts receivable.
- Interprets and explains WestCOP’s accounting policies, procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Processes accounting/financial documents and technical transactions in accordance with applicable rules, regulations, and established procedures.
- Determine the proper handling of financial and technical transactions within designated limits.
- Records, files, and distributes accounting paperwork and technical documents; monitors source documents for compliance with rules and regulations; reports discrepancies.
- Conducts a variety of technical accounting activities including general ledger, accounts payable, revenue, accounts receivable, special fund accounting, bank reconciliations, claims, and/or payroll.
- Performs mathematical calculations; completes journal entries; reconciles accounts; posts documents and computer accounting entries; reviews and validates the accuracy of data; researches/corrects errors.
- Maintains financial records and associated filing systems; enters data into computer systems; codes documents, processes transactions, updates accounts, compiles documentation, and generates reports.
- Updates and maintains additional accounting and/or technical transaction databases as needed.
- Processes cash receipts, daily cash reports, and bank deposits as required.
- Provides customer service and accounting assistance to other departments; researches and resolves various types of accounting issues.
- Coordinate the provision and/or exchange of technical and financial information with customers and external agencies.
- Responds to requests for accounting information; provides technical information within the scope of authority.
- Updates, corrects, retrieves, and releases information in accordance with established procedures.
- Monitors and ensures all reports and p paperwork are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Cross-trains in a wide variety of technical accounting duties; provides assistance in training and cross-training WestCOP staff.
Working Environment/Physical Demands: Work is performed in a standard office environment, involves light physical demands, and frequent use of personal computers.
Employment Standards: Associate’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or a closely related field; AND three (3) years’ governmental accounting experience in the areas of grant billing, payroll, accounts payable, and/or accounts receivable.
A valid driver’s license is required.
Knowledge and Skills:
- WestCOP policies and procedures
- Principles and practices of municipal finance and records management
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB), Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB), and Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) standards, policies, rules, and reporting requirements.
- State Budgeting Accounting & Reporting Systems (BARS) and Cost Accounting Management Systems (CAMS) for public sector financial management.
- Basic supervisory principles and practices
- Leading and coordinating accounting activities for area of assignment.
- Interpreting, explaining, and maintaining compliance with regulations governing accounting activities.
- Performing a variety of technical accounting functions.
- Preparing, reviewing, and monitoring accounting documents for accuracy and completeness
- Operating a personal computer and utilizing standard and specialized software.
- Establishing and maintaining effecting working relations with co-workers
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.